Today, Dew Drops turns six. We always make something specia for their birthdays and for Frosty's birthday we did a Puppy Cake, however, that turned almost tragic, when Dew tried to eat the whole thing and started choking. I was frantic and had to stick my fingers into his mouth to get the cake out and then down his throat. I really thought we were going to lose him. For dogs that actually chew, the cake is great. Frosty loved it.
So, we're skipping the cake and going for a soft cookie/treat made with pumpkin (of course!) and some banana, cinnamon, coconut oil, rice flour and egg. This recipe is so easy, you'll be making these every week.
This dough is pretty sticky, so you'll want to flour your work area really well. It will still stick a bit though.
I like a thicker cookie, so I rolled these between 1/4 to 1/2 an inch.
Then just get your favorite cookie cutter(s) and go to town. The bones, while appropriate, are really too big for our guys. So I made a lot of hearts and also small discs using the round side of a wilton 1M piping tip.
I baked these for 20 minutes (the smaller ones I baked for 16 minutes) so the inside was still soft and chewey. This works well for a dog that doesn't chew, because hard piece get lodged in his throat as well as big cakey pieces.
I store these in an airtight container for about a week…if they last that long.
Recipe for Pumpkin Banana Dog Treats
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1 really ripe banana
- 1 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough (hook) attachement
- Mix on high for about 3 minutes until a wet dough forms (scrape down sides every minute)
- Flour your work area and place dough down.
- Use your hand or a rolling pin (dusted with flour) to press the dough out to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness
- Use cookie cutter to cut out treats and place then on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or silpat mat
- Bake larger size cookies for 20 minutes and smaller for 16 minutes. If you prefer a harder cookie, then bake longer (30 minutes or more)
- Remove from oven and transfer to cool rack
Happy Birthday to our Dew Drops