Choosing a healthy food for your dog doesn't have to be difficult and time consuming.
Armed with a few key pieces of information, you can provide your pup with healthy food that is good for them. They'll thank you for it and you'll feel good about feeding it to them.
5 Tips for Choosing Healthy Dog Food
- Meat meal protein should be included in the first 5 ingredients
- Look for a food that has veggies and fruits and grains
- Say NO to by-products
- Skip food that has fillers like corn or sweeteners and artificial flavors/coloring
- Avoid foods with added preservatives like BHA, BHT, Propyl Gallate and Ethoxyquin. Instead choose food that uses Vitamin E or Vitamin C
Extra Tips (that I personally follow):
- As a general rule, if there's an ingredient that I won't eat on the label, I won't feed the product to my dog
- Some brands will list a meat as their first ingredient which is then followed with by-products and fillers. Be sure to read the entire ingredient list. Products like these do have real meat however the percentage of bad stuff outweighs the percentage of good stuff
- I choose food for our two dogs that contains 40-50% meat, 40-50% veggies, and about 10% grain/carbohydrate. That works for us. Your mileage will vary.
Please note: Every dog and cat and bird and hamster, like every human, has different nutritional needs. You should check with your veterinarian to determine what food's best meet the needs and nutritional requirements for your pet.